10.20.2005

Music Review 102005

Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol I.
(9.2 of 10)


With Lord of the Rings and Dungeons & Dragons inspired lyrics, progressing riffs and harmonising guitars, Coheed and Cambria's third installment to their epic saga is an aural treat, especially to a music lover and a gamer like me. "Welcome Home", the 6 minute rock opera, that sounds like Led Zepellin's "Kasmir", is probably the highlight of the album. Perfectly blending their distorted and complex sounds with violins, and Claudios, Geedy Lee-like, voice never sounded so good. In addition, the well written lyrics unfolds a fantasy story that continues from their last two album. Coheed and Cambria's music has matured, and Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. I is probably the best album I've heard this year.

Avenged Sevenfold - City of Evil
(9.0 of 10)



Combining old school metal and punk, and adding a bit of their own style, Avenged Sevenfold clawed their way up from obscurity. City of Evil is, indeed, a very powerful album. Fast, hard, and heavy guitar riffs, driving bass, and unbelievably solid drumworks (especially in songs like "The Beast and The Harlot" and "Sidewinder"). The vocals are melodic with a punkish approach, and reminds me of Axl Rose, especially in the song "Seize The Day" which has a big Guns N' Roses influence to it. If you're looking for a very courageous and adventurous album, I highly recommend City of Evil.

0 comments: