9.05.2005

Music Review 090505

I've been caught up working on my game module, clinical rotations, and school lately that I haven't got the time to write a quick review on music. But now, that I have time, I guess I'll write a couple.

Opeth - Ghost Reveries
(9 out of 10)



Opeth is finally back with their newest album, Ghost Reveries. They really showcased their talents in this album, and did a sterling job on the seamless transition between the brutality of their metal riffs and the beauty of ethereal sound (especially in songs "Ghost of Perdition" and "The Grand Conjuration"). The only thing I didn't like about this album is the dark fantasy inspired lyrics (which is really expected). Nonetheless, Ghost Reveries is a metal album that stretches beyond its genre.

30 Seconds to Mars - A Beautiful Lie
(8 out of 10)



30 Seconds to Mars returns with their sophomore album, A Beautiful Lie. In A Beautiful Lie, 30 Seconds to Mars eschewed, most of, but not entirely, the spacey and atmospheric sound of their first album, Capricorn. Their music this time is more direct and generic but their signature sound is still present in songs like "From Yesterday" and "Was It a Dream?". The lyrical content is also different from, Capricorn, in which is more about outer space and the universe. This time, it is more -emotionally- mainstream. Still, A Beautiful Lie, although a much different from Capricorn, is worth listening to.

Every Time I Die - Gutter Phenomenon
(
8.7 out of 10)



Gutter Phenomenon
is a follow up to Every Time I Die's successful release, Hot Damn!. It's a different album compared to the older ones, they have mellowed down a bit, and I bet a lot of Metalcore fans will be turned off with this album. Still, I think it is a very good, and well produced album. The guitar riffs are more distinct, and the screams and singing parts are all in place. In addition, Gerard Way (My Chemical Romance) and Daryl Palumbo (Glassjaw/Head Automatica) lends their voice in the album (to attract more fans probably). All I can say that the album is an organized chaos.

0 comments: