4.04.2006

First Impressions: Call of Cthulhu

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, I've been waiting for this game for almost an eternity but they finally released it, and I have a copy installed in my PC.

Since the development of Call of Cthulhu started sometime in 2003, the game engine -which is a tweaked Morrowind engine- is quite old. So don't expect any Oblivion-like graphics in here. But to me, or to any person who doesn't really care about graphics, the visuals of the game is quite decent.

The 1920's setting is very atmospheric, and perfect for a dark mystery game. Even from the start, the game made my hair on the back of my neck and shoulders raise like needles. I don't know if it was out of excitement or horror, or maybe both. But this game is pretty scary even in its simplicity.

The "Sanity" system lives up to the hype, and really affects you -as the player. Screens will blur everytime your character gets scared, and the intensity of the blur will increase depending on the magnitude your character's fear. I don't know if there are other ways to combat the bluriness or your fear except there are drugs -like morphine- to help you cope with the horrors that you see.

All in all, I'm loving the game. The problem is, other than my hectic schedule, I usually don't or can't finish horror games. I haven't finished Doom 3 and F.E.A.R. because I thought they were to intense. I just hope I'll have enough courage to finish Call of Cthulhu, and write a review of it.

0 comments: