2.17.2006

Musashi

A solid storyline, for me, is the most important element of a computer game. Because that's what entertains me the most, and keeps me going -playing a game- without respite. RPGs and Adventure games are usually the genres I play since they offer good stories. However, since there are no PC game that boasts an epic storyline at this time, I got myself a book. "Why rely on a computer to entertain you with a story anyways?" I said to myself. After all, books have been a medium and source for/of storytelling for years.

The book that I'm currently reading is entitled Musashi, by Eiji Yoshikawa. It is a fictionalized life story of a historical figure, Miyamoto Musashi, a famous samurai in the 1600. The book contains a lot of historical facts and figures, a view of the Japanese culture, and a lot of passages that you will take into heart. It is also clear that a lot of fictional characters are based on, or inspired by, Musashi. Kenshin of Samurai X is one example.

I haven't finished the whole book yet, and I'm not even half way. But, at this point, I am convinced that this book is an epic samurai tale. I recommend it to anyone.

0 comments: