11.21.2009

The Bowl or The Bounty?

During my early days as a gamer, most of the games I've played were cheap indies or imports from Eastern Europe. These games have little to no advertisement. But I didn't had any trouble tracking them down, and even followed their development. But, nowadays, it's been hard for me to find games that fly under the radar. So when the sequel for King's Bounty and an electronic version of Blood Bowl was made available on Steam the other day, I was very surprised. Knowing this also irked me because I only have enough money to get one game. Right now, I'm facing a conundrum. Maybe you can help?



Blood Bowl
This is the electronic version of the turn-based strategy, table-top game, Blood Bowl. I've only played the table-top version once, with my cousins, back in the early 90's, and I don't have a clear idea of how the game is actually played anymore. But I remember we were having tons of fun with it, cheering and shouting in the middle of the night. So I'm hoping to play this game again, relearn it and see if I can recapture the fun I had that night. Plus, I also found out that this game is also from Games Workshop, maker of Warhammer Games.

King's Bounty: Armored Princess
This game is the sequel to King's Bounty: The Legend (and I really loved this game). King's Bounty is also a turn-based strategy game, like Blood Bowl, and plays a lot like Heroes of Might and Magic (which I'm also a very big fan of). You can control a single hero, who gains level and earn loot by defeating creeps throughout the map, and can recruit followers. The game has this old-school feel which I really like. It's also developed by 1C, a small game developer that made Space Rangers -one of the best games evar!

Anyways, I'm really torn between the two games. I want to play Blood Bowl because its gameplay seems new and looks something different. But I don't know much about it. On the other hand, I know Armored Princess will be a lot of fun and it's also cheaper. But the gameplay is too similar to its predecessors. So should I go with the Bowl, new and untested? Or should take the safer and cheaper route with the Bounty?

This sucks, if I only knew these games were coming out I could've skipped Borderlands. It would've been easier that way.

Similar Posts:
First Impressions: Borderlands
Games of Fall 2009
My 9 Most Anticipated Games for 2009
Let the games begin! (Extended Version)
Let the games begin!

1 comments:

biz said...

The King's Bounty is much beter serial than HoMM. When I said that I refer to Amiga's Original King's Bounty from 1991, to The Legends and newly released Armored Princess.