3.28.2010

High on Blackjazz

As if The Dillinger Escape Plan's new album, Option Paralysis, isn't enough to blast beat the hell out of me, I found more metal releases that will give my eardrum a good pounding this month. First is High On Fire's new album, Snakes For The Divine. Then I also discovered an excellent band that calls themselves Shining.

High On Fire

"Frost Hammer"







High On Fire is a metal band from Oakland, California. I was enamored by their album Death Is This Communion back in 2007. Their new album, Snakes For The Divine, is a worthy follow up to that. The album got me right off the start. It just grabbed my head and flailed me around my room, from first track to the last. The music is just fast, loud and sludgy the way I like it to be. Definitely a great doom-metal album.

Shining

"Fisheye"







I didn't know who Shining were. I only got curious about them when I heard that: a) they're a metal band who have a saxophonist, b) they covered a King Crimson song and c) the title of their album is Blackjazz. When you put all those three together it just adds up that this band is dabbling with jazz and metal, kinda like Cynic. Except that Shining don't sound like Cynic. They're more messed up: louder, crazier and more experimental. I fucking love it! So far, Blackjazz is the best metal album I've heard this year.

March madness is indeed metal madness. I mean, I got three great metal albums to listen to this month. I'd definitely hurt my neck from banging my head so hard with all this.

Similar Posts:
Paralyzed
Blood and Vampires
Muses and Mothers
Pearls and Chains
Maybes and Propagandas

0 comments: