8.31.2009

Demo Monday: Arkham Asylum

My experiences with comics-to-games is as good as my experiences with games-to-film, which means not a whole lot. The only comics-to-game adaptation that I really liked were X-Men Legends: Rise of the Apocalypse and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. Everything else was either "meh" or just plain bad. So when they announced Batman: Arkham Asylum, I thought it was going to be one of those games that will only try to capitalize on the Batman franchise. Still, I have to make sure and try the demo.

The demo -which can be downloaded here- opens up with a cinematic, showing Batman delivering The Joker back to the Arkham Asylum. The intro is pretty nice and displays how well the atmosphere and the graphics of the game is. Then the intro is followed by a short and kick-ass tutorial that will give you a bird's eye view on the gameplay mechanics. This part -the tutorial- is the quick seller of the game. If you don't get sold with the game's free-flowing combat, the stealth action and other things that only Bats can do, then...there's something wrong with you.

Batman: Arkham Asylum seems to be a very interesting game. The gameplay reminds me of Thief and Prince of Persia, and that's a good thing. Plus, the mechanics -gliding, silent takedowns, swinging from wall to wall- makes me feel that I'm really playing Batman. I know I already made a very tight budget for all upcoming games for this Fall. But, I guess, I can always make room for this game.

Similar Posts:
Demo Monday: Zeno Clash
Demo Monday: Empire
Game Review: Marvel Ultimate Alliance

0 comments: