2.28.2010

The Playlist #11

It was a painful week due to migraines. But, at least, I was able to use my sick time, which has already accumulated to 20 days! Anyways, my playlist for this week.

"5" by Ultraspank







I was playing an X-Games video game for the PSone when this song came up, being part of the game's soundtrack. That was 10 years ago and I almost forgot about it. But when I saw Shaun White executed his "Double McTwist 1260" moves at the Winter Olympics, I swear that this song was playing at the back of my head. It was glorious.

"No One's Gonna Love You" by Band of Horses







I own Cease to Begin, Band of Horses' sophomore album, for more than two years now. But I never bothered to digitize it, even for my first mp3 player. I don't like it that much. But when I heard this song on Chuck, specifically in the "Chuck versus. the Nemesis" episode, where Sarah was torn choosing between Bryce and Chuck (fucking cliffhanger), I turned my basement upside down looking for this CD, and ripped in to my iPod right after I found it.

'Wolf Like Me" by TV on the Radio







I saw the movie Rachel Getting Married last Tuesday. I've seen this movie before but I didn't realize that the guy who played Sidney, Rachel's fiancee, is actually Tunde Adebimpe, who's also the vocalist of this excellent band TV on the Radio.

"My Grain" by Corrosion of Conformity







I had a really bad migraine attack last Wednesday night, and it actually spanned for three days. If I rate all my migraines, that last one would be on the top 5. Anyways, this song isn't about migraines, I think. I just chose it because its title sound pretty close. Plus, any song by Corrosion of Conformity kicks ass.

"Promises" by Fugazi







I was in a record store earlier (yes, I know, I got out from my den and went to a place with a lot of people called the mall) and I heard two guys, probably around my age, trashing emo. One of them said that emo "is a shitty new music". I know a lot of people think it's a new music. But emo has been around since the mid-80's. It started with a band called Rites of Spring. Their album was produced by Ian McKaye of Fugazi, which is a really kick-ass post-hardcore band.

"Siberian Kiss" by Glassjaw







Since we're on the topic of emo, I have to admit that I also listen to this music. Albeit it was the earlier inception of the genre, the precursor, the pre-mainstream emo. It was emo as emo can be, like crying about break-ups and killing girlfriends, except they were more heavier and aggressive. They were also labeled as Screamo (due to excessive screaming). Glassjaw is one of those bands that I really love. I still do, and I want them to release their 3rd album already.

"Understanding in a Car Crash" by Thursday







This is also one of my favorite screamo bands back then. They're still around, however, but I don't know anything about their music after their sophomore album.

That's it for this week. Enjoy.

Similar Posts:
The Playlist #10
The Playlist #9
The Playlist #8
The Playlist #7
The Playlist #6

0 comments: