10.05.2008

Comics Bundle 9/24 - 10/1: Reneratin' Degenerate Skrulls

I've been lazy writing any kind of reviews as of late. It's most likely because of the new rig and the holiday games rush. Aside from the new games, I also have the old games that I wanted to re-play and experience with eye-blistering graphics. Hence, I don't have time to write reviews anymore. I didn't write any music or game review last month, and I also skipped a week practicing my comic reviewing skill. But I have to...I just need to make time to write, or even shorten and dumb down (even more) my reviews.

So, here, my hastily and horrendously written reviews of excellent, and not so excellent, comic books.

Deadpool #2
8.5 of 10
Writer: Daniel Way
Artist: Paco Medina






In the last issue, The Skrulls almost had Deadpool. So our crimson-costumed anti-hero had no choice but to join them. The Skrulls considered for a while. But, in the end, they spliced him, copied his advanced healing factor, and made a new batch of Super-Skrulls with it. The result: a bunch of Deadpool-cloned Super Skrulls, who are as much as a lunatic as him, running around the Skrull Spaceship making "Knock Knock" jokes and killing everybody. This issue is just a bag of crazy fun.

Four Eyes #1
8.8 of 10
Writer: Joe Kelly
Artist: Max Fiumara






I didn't know anything about Four Eyes. The comic book store owner only insisted that I should get it. I hestitated, at first, because I thought he's trying to sell me something. But he's right, as always. This book is amazing. While the basic concept of the book may be too "Eragon", whereas a young boy find and forms a bond with a dragon whelp. Its setting, however, which is in New York City during the Great Depression, sets it apart from your standard fantasy books. I just can't wait for this book to go off.

New Avengers #45
5.0 of 10
Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Artists: Jim Cheung, John Dell, Justin Ponsor






When I saw a preview page of New Avengers #45, last month, where Veranke (The Skrull Queen), in the guise of Jessica Drew, was suffering and felt a little lost during the House of M event, I was left intrigued. But that was it, just one page. I just feel that the rest of the issue was recycled from the House of M, and was spiced up with some captions pertaining to Secret Invasion.

No Hero #1
8.5 of 10
Writer: Warren Ellis
Artist: Juan Jose Ryp






No Hero is another collaboration between Avatar Press, Warren Ellis and Juan Jose Ryp, the guys who brought us Black Summer. This is an excellent comic book but I felt strange while reading the first issue. It just feels a lot like Black Summer -which is a good thing- with its vigilante themes and Ryp's wonderfully violent artwork. So I had to constantly remind myself that I wasn't reading Black Summer, but a different book.

Samurai: Legend #1
7.0 of 10
Writer: Jean-Francois Di Giorgio
Artists: Frederic Genet





I like Samurai stories. Unfortunately, not a lot of comics features the Samurai, and reading manga leaves me crossed-eyed. So I was very happy when I learned about Samurai: Legend #1. The story is pretty decent, its your standard samurai story with a dash of Japanese folklore. The artwork is pretty solid too. Especially the fights, they just kept it simple and clear. What I don't like about this book is the $6 price tag.

Similar Posts:
Comics Bundle 9/10: What's "Oh, $#@!" in Skrull-ese?
Comics Bundle 8/20 - 9/4: Eat Skrull for Lunch!
Comics Bundle 7/30 - 8/13: President Arroyo is a Skrull

0 comments: