5.25.2009

Oh Schmap!!

These days, with the advent of digital photography, one can easily call themselves a "photographer". It's pretty much evident in the blogosphere, where you can find hundreds of picture blogs -most of which are pretty good- chronicling the blogger's collection or the places they've visited through photographs. You'd even see some bloggers out there aspiring to become photographers, saving money for a DSLR, and claiming that they can do better than the others.

For a time, I too did want to try my hand at photography. I was even lining up on the counter, ready to pay for a $600 Canon DSLR. But I changed my mind at the last minute. I don't need a good and expensive camera. Besides pointing and clicking, I have zero knowledge of photography. So investing $600 on a new hobby -that I know nothing about- was a bit of an overkill. Instead, I bought an amplifier, stuck with my guitar and completely forgot about photography.

But a month ago, I received this letter from Schmap:

Hi Skron1,

I am writing to let you know that one of your photos has been short-listed for inclusion in the seventh edition of our Schmap Chicago Guide, to be published early May 2009.
While we offer no payment for publication, many photographers are pleased to submit their photos, as Schmap Guides give their work recognition and wide exposure, and are free of charge to readers. Photos are published at a maximum width of 150 pixels, are clearly attributed, and link to high-resolution originals at Flickr.

Our submission deadline is Wednesday, April 22. If you happen to be reading this message after this date, please still click on the link above (our Schmap Guides are updated frequently - photos submitted after this deadline will be considered for later releases).

Best regards,

Emma Williams,
Managing Editor, Schmap Guides
Looks like I have a bit of knack for photography after all. To learn that one of my photos in Flickr was selected to be published on a website is sort of flattering (you gotta love the internet), and also rekindled my desire to try photography again. But I'm not going to buy a camera though. Because money is tight and this gig might only be a one-hit wonder, a fluke. So I'm going to think this through.

Anyways, my picture was included on the guide and you can find it here.

Similar Posts:
Institutionalized
Chicagoing
Amplified

4 comments:

Kevin said...

I thought it was fake 'coz I received Schmap messages too. :P Turns out it wasn't really fake. I approved their messages and all, though I dunno where to find my pictures.

I'm one of ze bloggers who wants to have a DSLR, but I'm still thinking about it. I want to try my hand on Polaroids instead.

Skron said...

I thought it was fake as well. But I checked it out. If they included your photos, they'll send you another message on where to find them.

DSLR are so damn expensive. I would've bought one in an instant if they put them on sale. They don't, however. I've been waiting for the Nikon D40's price to go down for two years but it's still $499.

Polaroids are cool. I think there's a chick in your blog roll who use a Polaroid camera.

Big Hamster said...

Coolness! Congrats on getting shortlisted. And while I do own a DSLR (my wife is nuts about photography) I always believe it's always the "indian", not the "pana".

And yup DSLR's are pretty expensive nowadays, if you really like to get one, here's a website that offers "bagsak presyo" Nikon: jerry.ph/nikon

Enjoy.

Oh, and Polaroids are hawt!

Spot a Leopard said...

well, well, well, congrats...

Its been my dream to have my photographs published but was too "overbooked" with hobbies that I didn't pursue it anymore. There was a time when I thought I was born to photograph, next thing I know, i was born to eat, congrats anyways :-)