9.29.2008

My Top 10 Rock Albums: The 60's

This is the last part, but not the least, of my top 50 rock albums. This time my top 10 albums are from the 60's. Honestly, I thought that this list will be filled with Frank Zappa, Jimi Hendrix, or any band with Eric Clapton on it. Because these were the people that were big that time, and the only ones that I can remember. So I did a little research, like going through my elephantine CD collection in my storage. But it was fun, even though I had to go an extra mile to write this post. I also had the chance to digitize my old collection and store it in my mp3 player.

10. Second Winter
by Johnny Winter
John Dawson Winter III, for some reason, is not as popular as other 60's guitarists like Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix, or Eric Clapton. But me and my friend, who's also a guitarist, were astounded the first time we heard Second Winter. The lightning fast blues licks in this album will leave you disoriented, in a good way, for a while.


9. We're Only In It For The Money
by Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention
I don't know how We're Only In It For The Money fared during the 60's. Because this album satrizied the pop culture back then, mainly the hippies. Even its album cover is a parody of the most popular The Beatles album. But besides being humorous, Frank Zappa also displayed his eclectic guitar style, that is way advance during that time, in this album.


8. Truth
by Jeff Beck
Back when I was just a greenhorn guitarist, I keep stumbling on the name Jeff Beck while reading Guitar World. The magazine probably mentioned him as much as they did Hendrix or Clapton. So I thought I'd give him a listen. However, I only manage to find Truth. But that's fine. Because his blistering leads in this album gave me the blues.


7. The Doors
by The Doors
The debut, self-titled album of The Doors is probably one of the most entrancing and spellbinding album of all times. The fusion of blues and jazz sounds by Manzarek's keyboards and Krieger's guitars, enchanced by Morrison's poetic lyrics, creates this hypnotic psychedelia that will leave its listeners with a bewildered stare for hours.


6. The Velvet Underground & Nico
by The Velvet Underground & Nico
In We're Only In It For The Money, producer Gary Kellgren regarded The Velvet Underground as a shitty a group as Frank Zappa. Well, at least back in the 60's maybe. But both bands are now viewed as innovators. Especially The Velvet Underground. Without them, and this album, alternative rock would've not existed today.


5. Blind Faith
by Blind Faith
The first and last album of Eric Clapton's project, Blind Faith, is also one of his best works. Like many of my classic rock albums, I found this one in my uncle's dilapidated garage. While the naked girl on its cover intrigued and prompted me to listen to the album, it was the six tracks of heavy blues rock and the creamy guitars that made this my favorite.


4. The Beatles (White Album)
by The Beatles
I'm not into The Beatles. I respect and acknowledge them for what they did but I'm not into them. Probably because I got sick and tired of listening to them since the day I was born. Nevertheless, their self-titled album is an exception. As most of their "good" songs, such as "Helter Skelter" and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", are all in here.


3. In The Court of King Crimson
by King Crimson
Most people will say that Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is the best progressive rock album. Honestly, I did too, for awhile. But that's only because I was 13 and too ill-equipped to comprehend and appreciate the sonic opera showcased In The Court of King Crimson. Now, however, I understand that this album is a cornerstone of rock music.


2. Disraeli Gears
by Cream
Disraeli Gears is my favorite work from Eric Clapton. Slowhand and his bandmates (Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker) did an exemplary job displaying their virtuosity on this psychedelic album. Especially in the colorful tracks "Strange Brew" and "Sunshine of Your Love". Though it was the blues breaking solo of "Outside Woman Blues" that had me.


1. Electric Ladyland
by The Jimi Hendrix Experience
I discovered Jimi Hendrix a year after I picked up the guitar. After that, I had every Jimi Hendrix material I could get my hands on (music, videos, books) and covered my room with his posters. Why? Because it was him, after listening to Electric Ladyland, that inspired and catapulted my guitar playing, as well as many other guitarists, to the next level.


That's it. My top 50 Rock Albums list is finally done, and I'm a bit sad. But all good things must come to an end. So I hope you guys enjoyed this series because I certainly did.

Similar Posts:
My Top 50 Rock Albums: The 70's
My Top 50 Rock Albums: The 80's
My Top 50 Rock Albums: The 90's
My Top 50 Rock Albums: The 00's

0 comments: