1.01.2009

Top 8 Books of 2008

I've never done a year-end list of books before. That's because I didn't had time to read, and even if I had it's usually the ones that were released in previous years. But this year, I've made some time and effort reading and buying books that were currently released. Although, I think, I still haven't read as many books as I should have (only 11 books). Hopefully, I'll be able to do more next year.

Anyways, here are my top 8 books of 2008:

1.Liberation 9.5 [Review]
Writer: Brian F. Slattery
This is the best, and most important, book I've read this year. While the book is alive with music and humor, you won't find yourself dancing and laughing because the author's vision of a financially ruined United States is real enough to be scary. The appropriate book for our current financial crisis.


2. The Hunger Games 9.3
Writer: Suzanne Collins
I haven't finished a book in just one sitting since Kushiel's Dart. But I finished this book in just over eight hours. That's because the protagonist, Katniss Everdeen, enthralled me with her hunter's snares since page one. I definitely recommend this book, especially if you're tired reading about orphan boy heroes.


3. Shadow of the Silk Road 9.3 [Review]
Writer: Colin Thubron
This travel book, about the current state of the Silk Road, is just so full of adventure. It's so fluidly written and covers a wide range of topics. From it, I've picked up bits and pieces of knowledge about history, religion, politics and culture in many parts of Asia, Central Asia and the Middle-East.


4.The Graveyard Book 8.9 [Review]
Writer: Neil Gaiman
Probably the best modern fantasy I've read this year. The Graveyard Book, a story of a boy who were raised by ghosts, is a twisted version of Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book. But despite its horrifying theme it's actually a pleasant read. It even reminds me that magic can be found anywhere and at anytime.


5. The Ten-Cent Plague 8.8 [Review]
Writer: David Hajdu
As a comic-book aficionado, I've never really known much about the history of comics before. But everything changed after I've read this well documented book. Now I know a little more about the funny books. From its humble inception, as to why it was vilified by the public, and to its eventual censorship.


6. The Stone Goods 8.7
Writer: Jeanette Winterson
This is a great sci-fi book but also a thought provoking read. A story about a repeating world, it started out as a satire about the future -an over exaggeration of our present- and abruptly dives into metaphysical and spiritual philosophies that will spin your head and make you question human nature.


7. Once You're Lucky, Twice You're Good 8.7
Writer: Sara Lacy
I liked reading this book. It documents the struggle and the inspiring billion dollar success of young men, such as Max Levchin (founder of PayPal) and Mark Zuckerberg (founder of Facebook), responsible for the rise of Web 2.0, the only reason why the internet is still an interesting place.


8. Personal Days 8.5
Writer: Ed Park
This is a fun book filled with cliched, but quirky, characters. It tells the story of office workers who stay in mediocrity just to avoid being laid off. An apt book especially in these times of rising unemployment. It might even help those who got laid off at their jobs by reminding them that work sucks.


So these were the books that I enjoyed reading from yesteryear. So what are your favorite books from last year?

My other top 8 of 2008:
Top 8 Games of 2008
Top 8 Music of 2008
Top 8 Films of 2008

Similar Posts:
Top 7 Games of 2007
Top 7 Music of 2007
Top 7 Films of 2007
The Best 6 of 2006

0 comments: