1.17.2009

Trucks and Animals

A couple days ago, I posted something about January being a zero month. A month when nothing good comes out in music, movies, books or games. Well...I lied. Because I heard that the film Defiance is good, that the game Mirror's Edge (for Windows) is gripping, and that the new albums of Animal Collective and The Derek Trucks Band are quite an aural treat.

Being a slave to the critics and word of mouth, that I am, I made time to go out and bought all of these stuff (so much for resuscitating my financial assets). I didn't had the chance to see Defiance though. But I got the game, Mirror's Edge (which I'm trying to install right this moment), and the two very different albums, Merriweather Post Pavilion and Already Free.

Animal Collective


I think it was back in 2007 when I first heard of Animal Collective. A co-worker urged me to listen to them and lent me her copy of their album, Strawberry Jam. Honestly, I can't recall the sound of their music on that album. All I remember is that I wasn't too impressed with it, and for reasons unknown or forgotten. Maybe, during that time, my ears were just over saturated with Les Savy Fav's Let's Stay Friends that it can't accept new music anymore. But, man, their new album, Merriweather Post Pavilion, is just sick, in a good way. It's a great indie electro pop album where synths and vocals playfully balances each other, creating a joyous sound.

The Derek Trucks Band


While it took me some time, and a lot of A+ reviews, before I risked my money and bought Merriweather Post Pavilion, I never had any doubt when I bought Already Free, the new album of The Derek Trucks Band. I just whisked the album away from the shelves the moment I saw the thing because Derek Trucks is a given. The dude's a guitar god spawned in this decade. Once again, with Already Free, he's proven himself as an excellent and diverese guitarist. But it's not just Truck's stringcraft that made this album great. It's also the vocals of Kofi Burbridge and the guests that filled this album with a lot of blues, a lot of groove and a lot of soul.

Merriweather Post Pavilion by Animal Collective and Already Free by The Derek Trucks Band are both great albums. Initially, I really enjoyed listening to them both. It may take a couple more listens before I can write a lengthier review for both albums. Although, I don't really recommend Animal Collective just to anybody. Because it's the kind of pop that only sounds poppy but not really intended for popular crowds. But, nevertheless, I urge you guys to take a risk, you might end up liking it. As for Derek Trucks, I don't think any open-minded music lover, who's looking for easy chill songs, could dislike Already Free.

Similar Posts:
Top 8 Music of 2008
Secret Santa, Music Spree

2 comments:

lucas said...

you're music is interesting. i'll check some of them in imeem one of these days...animal collective? ngayon ko lang xa narinig actually. it's good to know my iba pang genres. hehe!

---

REALLY? i didn't know it was an adaptation from a comic series. cool! i don't read comics much. thanks for info :)

pusangkalye said...

I listened to the sound clip and I think I kinda like it. Honestly, it's cool....