2.15.2009

An Impromptu Valentine

So yesterday was Valentine's Day. It's the time of the year when guys buy stacks of Hallmark cards to impress their fuck buddies and, at the same time, practice one-upmanship -the art of making other guys look inferior to their girlfriends. So where was I in the middle of all this? Well, I was at Best Buy picking up a new PC speaker for my rig. But, believe it or not, that excursion actually led me to an impromptu dinner date.

As I was walking back to my car, after I got out from Best Buy, I thought I heard someone calling my name. I stopped and looked around for a moment but didn't see anybody. So I just shrugged it off, blaming the pollens and love -so palpable in the air that it can choke you- that caused me to hear things, and started walking back to the direction of my car. Then, all of a sudden, I heard a clamor of footsteps and frantic screams, as if somebody was being chased, behind me. When I turned around I saw four of my co-workers (all single and leggy blonds) running towards me.

It turns out that the four of them were shopping at the nearby mall and were planning to have a singles dinner date. Being a single myself, they invited me too. At first, I vehemently refused. I just wanted to go home because I was so excited about my speakers. But they were very persistent. So, in the end I capitulated and went with them. Besides, I could use another dosage of spontaneity and some night out (with blond girls).

Since we were surrounded by a chain of restaurants, we drove around for awhile before we decided to eat at Red Lobster. The place wasn't our initial choice but it was the only restaurant with a vacant parking lot at that time, and the girls were getting hungry. The place inside was jam packed with people. We stood in line waiting for about 45 minutes and, just before we were ushered to our seats, two guy friends of one of my co-workers joined us.

When we got to our seats, I ordered lobster rolls for appetizers, and wood grilled lobster and shrimp. The food wasn't that great but it was good enough that I enjoyed it. None of us had any desserts since we were all full after the main course. So we just drank beers and talked. Most of us just talked about work though. Then me and a co-worker's guy friend got into a tech-talk. Unfortunately, he started blabbering about iMacs and iPods like a religious nut who's trying to convert me. Then, after we paid the bills, we parted ways.

I really want to add something in here like: "Then I had a one-night stand with one of my co-workers." or "Soon after, me and two of my co-workers participated in a 'menage a trois'." But, sadly, I can't. I have high work ethics. So shitting in my own backyard is not on my policy.

Similar Posts:
Chicagoing
The Latvian Blonde

0 comments: