3.05.2009

Silence and Deserts

For two years now, ever since I bought a guitar amp, I've been diligently practicing and re-learning my guitar skills. Almost every day and night, before I go to bed or get off from it, I'd put at least two hours of playing various licks and techniques I got from the internet. So far, I've been successful of shaking off the rusts -accumulated during a 7 year hiatus- that almost drove my guitar skills into atrophy. Furthermore, as a guitarist, I've also improved a little bit (I'm much better at alternate picking and string skipping now).

These past months, however, I've been putting less and less time into practicing. Partly because I spend more time reading books and playing PC games, and partly because I haven't heard or seen anything inspiring -since The Chronicles of Israfel- that could send me into frenzied practice sessions. So, in order to fix the latter half of the problem, I just got myself a couple of guitar instrumental albums: Silence Followed By A Deafening Roar by Paul Gilbert and Carving Desert Canyons by Scale The Summit. These aforementioned albums are kick-ass, and if they can't inspire me I don't think anything will.

Paul Gilbert

I'm not into hair metal. But Mr. Big is an exception. Mainly because the band members are such great musicians. Paul Gilbert, especially, who is hailed by many to be a guitar hero. I know that he have already released a lot of solo albums as a guitarist but, regrettably, I haven't heard any of it. So I was left mesmerized when I listened to his solo work, his latest album. I'm not sure if Silence... is Gilbert's best album but it's loaded with epic and face-melting string craft that will leave guitarists with glee in their hearts.

Scale The Summit


Scale The Summit is an instrumental/progressive metal band I discovered two weeks ago. Unlike Paul Gilbert, they're not really that indulgent with guitar solos. But, it's needless to say, they're also a pretty talented band. What I really like about them is how their music flows. Their transition from a heavy musical mode to a softer one can be very seamless. One moment, it can be really brutal with thundering drums and assaulting guitars. But, abruptly, they'll shift and slow down to a mellow jazzy sound.

These guys, with their level of skill and technicality, have really inspired me to become a better musician. Scale The Summit, especially. A young band like them usually manages to come up with only a so-so music. But they created a heavy music, a pleasant type of metal, that even regular folks might enjoy. As for my guitar practicing, well both these albums have certainly gave me an itch. The only problem is that I still have two books and a game to finish.

Similar Posts:
Hop and Pop
Trucks and Animals
Top 8 Music of 2008
Secret Santa, Music Spree
No Strings Attached

1 comments:

lucas said...

cool! perhaps you could record your session and post it here.

astig yun!